Thursday, September 30, 2010

Genealogical Gem

It has definitely been too long since the last post if I cannot even remember my user name and password. It took me three tries to remember just exactly WHO I am. Most decidedly a hint to post more often!

Remember back to the beginning of summer my goal and heart's desire was to study the gospels and get a closer look at my King's face? It has been a pleasure. Using a synoptic gospel guide that I downloaded from the internet, I have been reading the gospels in event-order, switching back and forth between them as the story and time line progress through Christ's life and mission on earth. And with each pocket-sized event, I take the time to stop and meditate and see what insights the Lord allows. My insights surely aren't 'gospel', but for me they have quickened my love for the word and my love for Jesus.

I want to share a tiny tidbit of my joys along the way - even the hidden treasure in a long genealogy. Matthew 1:1 says, "A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ..."

Jesus has a genealogy. He was born into humankind - became a man. That may seem obvious, but stop and really think about that. He entered history in a specific time and in a specific line of men, as foretold and promised by God to both King David and Abraham.

Jesus' family line has evil men and kings as well as good kings. It includes a murderer, a prostitute, faithful God-followers, worshipers of idols, the disobedient as well as the faithful - just like any human genealogy.

Just like prophesied, He came and entered history at just the right moment. At just the right point in that list of human beings. It was foretold. It was promised. It was looked forward to in faith and hope. And He came. He really did.

Isaiah predicted, "For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over His kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this."

What a Savior!

Randy Alcorn said this: Because the fall really happened in history, God's Son had to enter history (incarnation) and die in history (redemption) and rise from the grave in history (resurrection).

What an amazing redemptive plan unfolding...!

0 comments: