Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chutzpah

Hi. My name is Laura. I have been remiss in my blogging. I have been bad. Very bad indeed.

I lost my 'oomph' for a bit - my chutzpah. ( I looked that cool word up. No definition to be found, but I'm still sure I LOST it.) Cause my get-up-and-go got up and went, too. Probably hand in hand with my chutzpah, and they are gallivanting and cavorting on some beach in the south of France. Without me.

I have been on a downward slippery slope into feelings of depression (again) over the last six months, but now I am clawing my way back up and out. Mainly via increased doses of the hormonal miracle drug progesterone.

I will be okay. Soon I hope.

You know what I've been doing besides regular wife-mother-house type thingies? I've been increasing my joy factor. I've been seriously dogging after collecting delights for my soul. Here is a short list of my personal favorites:

Driving in the car with the windows down letting the wind tussle with my hair, my arm straight out the window, country music blaring. This works best when driving alone.

Watching my little golden finches and red headed house finches gorge themselves on my bird feeder right out my living room window.

Squirting an extra blast of perfume on my neck.

Manicures and pedicures and toe rings.

Sitting in the sun absorbing its healing happy rays.

Reading a really good book.

Watercolor painting in my little travel journal where I chronicle almost every day of my summer. The sketching and painting have been a newly discovered pleasure for me.

Teaching dear friends to quilt. And learning lovely new layouts from them.

Laughter. Especially with family and good friends.

A slow road trip down the coast with my husband - enjoying Italian sodas, Mexican mochas, and hitting every cute little shop along the way. And every bathroom.

Walking through the fields in the early morning light, the hillsides warm in the golden glow of a day just beginning. Listening to the birds.

A buttery bowl of popcorn. (See how WAY down on the list that was??! Impressive!)

Lighting scented candles around the house.

There are so many little blessings from the Lord that increase our joy. I am grateful for every miniature delight that comes my way. So, thanks for listening. I'll be back soon....


PS Google says that Chutzpah means something like 'gutsy audacity.' That's not quite what I wanted it to mean. I wanted it to mean something like 'spit and vinegar,' because that's what I'm missing. But maybe I'm missing my gutsy audacity, too. ;O] I think I'm missing several things....










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to the south of France to look for your chutzpa! Do you want to come with me? Tori

ruth at comfort cafe said...

Hope that chutzpah thingie comes bounding back in full force! I love your list of the simple things in life in which you find joy. Inspires me to make such a list too!

Ronda Stocker said...

Depression is the condition that results from moving popcorn that far down the list! And of course the last comment was not from Ronda, but from the popcorn lover in this house... I do love your perspective on enjoying the simple things, as they are so easy to miss, and can be so rich in our lives. Good friends top the list!
Ken

Ronda Stocker said...

Oh, so I see Ken has already read your article and commented! =)

I really enjoyed this. It's Phil. 4:8 all over again. It would be a great "PROJECT" to do for us all!
I think I will do that as well!

Love,
Ro

Tammy said...

Nice to have you back. We do need to focus on the blessings in life don't we?