Friday, June 18, 2010

Where Is Your Faith, Part 2

God tested us through various trials by fire a few years ago, and one heavy-duty trial was our oldest daughter's health which crashed suddenly and severely during her study abroad program in Australia. She'd reacted strongly to mango just prior to leaving, and the ER doctor put her on one week of prednisone to control the allergic reaction. The prednisone crashed her health in a severe way that continued to escalate over the following weeks until suddenly she was allergic to most foods. Her first week in Australia she went to the emergency room two times with breathing difficulties and a swollen throat. In a nut shell, we were worried sick about her. And thankfully, we did not realise that this would be a 2-year-long agonizing road of multiple health issues.

One night in particular I remember laying awake fighting tooth and nail with worries and fears for her safety - and even for her very life. I prayed non-stop in the dark and on my bed and talked my way through the book of John reminding myself of WHO my Jesus is. He is my light. He is my bread. He is my gate and door and way. He is my very life. Until finally I was able to surrender to sleep.

I am so grateful that my God is every-where-present, and even though I could not be right there with her - as my mommy's heart was clamoring to be - I knew that I could trust Him to carry her and be her pillar of strength and support. Like He was my staunch support.

John 9:3, in talking about the man born blind, says, "...this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." God put Himself on display through this trial by fire in our lives, and through our active choice to trust and rely on Him in it.

That next morning while journaling in my devotions, God gave me the following thoughts on faith to encourage me and remind me of how He works in our lives to develop and grow-up our faith. In Psalm 119 the psalmist says that it is good for me to be afflicted, that I may learn His statutes. God uses various situations and trials, whatever their shape or form, and they are designed to make me, not break me or destroy me. It has been permitted by God to mold me into the image of His Son, not to disfigure me for life. He does it for the sake of proving my faith....

This concept of 'proving' my faith made me think of a bridge. A bridge is designed and built to certain specs, and stress tests are conducted on the structure. But the bridge span doesn't then just sit there, being strong and fully equipped, but in-active; it is actually pressed into service. It is used. It is proven - by cars and trucks in massive amounts driving across its structure, depending on its span to hold sturdy and strong and to support the vehicles from one point to the next. The bridge is made useful. It is not just ornamental or a bridge-in-theory; it is a bridge in practice and in truth. It is there when needed, not buckling under pressure or failing to be what it was created to be.

Our faith, like a bridge, is pressed into service, to be useful in life, not just a 'theory' or idea untested, untried. Our faith is proven when it holds up under use and pressure and under the ferocious daily 'commute' of life and its fiery trials! Faith is not just a lovely pearl in our necklace of Christian spiritual gifts, worn on special occasions, but it is hardy, and made to get down in the trenches of life with us and support us in our endeavor to walk the walk and live the life that God has set before us.

God gives us faith - and then He grows it up. He matures it; He tests it.

He directs life to give us pop-quizzes: How ya gonna do here? And here? He wants us to be proficient in our use of this tool of faith; to be quicker to bring it to bear on the problems at hand. Quicker to lift our eyes in faith to Jesus no matter the swirling and storming waters of life. We know the One who is in control of all things. So, Where is Your Faith?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you once more for your reminder not to be discouraged in our trials, but trust and grow through them. You are a BIG inspiration to me!!!! Love, Mom