Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Holiness" by J.C. Ryle

One of my desires with this blog is to encourage the reading of deep spiritual books. We can benefit so much from investing time and effort in many of the older authors, especially. They had a rich walk with God and a devotion to Him that sparks my own affections for God to grow. And boy do they know the Word. May these authors whet your appetite to grow and to fall more deeply in love with your Savior and may you be encouraged to live and walk in a more holy manner as a result.

First published in 1879, J.C. Ryle laments a lack of practical holiness in his day. He says this: "I have had a deep conviction for many years that practical holiness and entire self-consecration to God are not sufficiently attended to by modern Christians in this country. Politics, or controversy, or party spirit, or worldliness, have eaten out the heart of lively piety in too many of us. The subject of personal godliness has fallen sadly into the background. The standard of living has become painfully low in many quarters. The immense importance of 'adorning the doctrine of God our Savior' and making it lovely and beautiful by our daily habits and tempers has been far too much overlooked.... Sound doctrine is useless if it is not accompanied by a holy life. It is worse than useless: it does positive harm...it is my firm impression that we want a thorough revival about scriptural holiness."

He assures us that justification and regeneration are the works of God in our life, but where there is no sanctification, there is no regeneration, and "where there is no holy life there is no new birth. Sanctification is the only certain evidence of that indwelling of the Holy Spirit which is essential to salvation."

So, it matters how we live. How we live demonstrates who we are. You have to DO certain things to be a certain kind of person. Conversely, you have to BE a certain kind of person to do certain things. So as new creatures in Christ, as believers, there is a way of living, of holiness, that results because of WHO we are. He says, "I fear it is sometimes forgotten that God has married together justification and sanctification...one is never found without the other." And this book thoroughly addresses that topic in a deep and spiritually uplifting manner.

I feel utterly inadequate at this book review thing. How can I attempt in a small paragraph or two to indicate the rich and rewarding words of truth and encouragement that await you? I find myself unable to do this book justice without just flat quoting the whole thing. So here is a wee bit more....

He presses on all converted people the possibility of continual growth in grace, and the absolute necessity of going forward, increasing more and more, and every year dedicating and consecrating ourselves more, in spirit, soul and body, to Christ. He says that true holiness "does not consist merely of believing and feeling but of doing and bearing.... Our tongues, our tempers, our natural passions and inclinations; our conduct as parents and children, masters and servants, husbands and wives, rulers and subjects; our dress, our employment of time, our behavior in business, our demeanor in sickness and health..." all of these things are minutely treated in Scripture with regard to our holiness.

I wasn't up very many hours the other morning before I blew it with my mouth. Words came out that 'stinketh' to high heaven. I felt wounded and offended - and out flew words that revealed my fleshly heart. A little later I read my Bible, and God took a big yellow highlighter and underscored a verse for me. (Isn't that sweet?)

"Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees." (Ps.119:5) Steadfast. Sigh. Verse 6 says, "Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands."

Lord, make me steadfast in obedience, holy in all my behavior, bearing fruit in every good work, increasing in the knowledge of God, steadfast in pursuing You. May it be said of me like verse 3, "They do nothing wrong; they walk in His ways."

It is because I am weak and falter and fail that I run, not only to God's holy Word, but to deep spiritual books, to feed and nurture my soul and draw me higher in my walk with Him. Praise God that the work He began in me He promises to continue and perfect. That gives me great comfort and hope. So, in the reading of this book 'Holiness', I hope to do due diligence in my pursuit of Him. Come join me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ready to start reading "Holiness," pencil in hand. I am sure it will be a great adventure. Mom

Wagners said...

One of my favorite books ever. It is sad that my first thought when I hear "holiness" is "how boring". Shows, unfortunately, how cold my heart can really be. But I love how practical he is with presenting how important it is in our lives. You're right...it's impossible to relate the impact this book will have in your life. As soon as I finish Practical Religion, I will read it again.
Ken