Thursday, April 29, 2010

Depression #2

I want to write several blog posts on the topic of depression. It is such a devastating thing and I’ve learned just how widespread it is among women; it’s huge. There is comfort available from our Lord; there are truths that will under-gird and strengthen us as we walk that path. I want to share how He personally helped me through those years of darkness, and let me say this: learning to walk in the dark strengthened my faith and my ability to undergo other difficulties and trials in life. He prepared me in a very real sense for even darker future trials, and because I’d learned so much, I was not toppled over or crushed, but met them with faith and trust and hope. And yes, with pain even still, but not pain that smeared me dead across the path of life.

While feelings of depression may result from organic malfunctioning that can be medically diagnosed and treated, a variety of other factors may contribute to this situation as well. In spite of any contributing factor, in spite of there being a medical cause, you must come before the Lord and ask HIM to what purpose He is trying you in this valley of depression. Because believe me, He has a purpose. And this is sovereignly brought about and allowed by Him for our spiritual shaping and molding and maturing. He’s growing us up; and I don’t know about you, but I pay much greater attention when times are tough.

So, there I was, in the middle of a depression, and for three years I struggled along knowing nothing about causes. I knew I had God’s word as my light and guide, and I knew that I was to discipline myself even here for the purpose of godliness. That meant I was to obey Scripture even here, as in all circumstances. God’s word isn’t just for the good days when you feel all pumped up and spiffy.

So this gave me a path - a way to point my feet - a direction to aim my face. When all is dark and you don’t know what to do, when feelings of being overwhelmed or inadequate flood you, this is when you fall back on the truths of God’s word. He speaks from His word what He desires for us. His word sheds light on our way. He illumines the path by this precious beacon of truth. Don’t neglect it.

And depression is not dealt with in isolation, its tentacles are far-reaching and its effects are broad across all relationships and areas of our life, but this is a God-given opportunity to biblically address it all.

I never asked “why” the Lord had me in this state. My question was “WHAT?” “WHAT ARE YOU SAYING TO ME?” “WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?” I was desperate to DO it and then move on. I wanted OUT. Its so interesting that my Lord kept me there, but I know on this day looking back to those days, that it had a very, very good purpose in my life. I know my Lord better. I love Him more. I trust Him more. And I have more stamina and strength for the trials of life as they come. I was humbled, and in that humbling I was softened.

You know, God could have easily revealed to me in my very first year of depression that it was caused by my hormones being all catawampous. He didn’t. He was able to; that news didn’t catch Him by surprise; He knew, but He had a much higher purpose and good work to do in me. This is good to remember and to comfort ourselves with, because we will find ourselves in the midst of various difficulties in life, and the truth that He knows right where we are is a comforting one. We are not lost and wandering, but walking a path pre-ordained for us to walk in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you saying it would have confounded God's purposes to have had your hormones put in balance medically? Mom

Laura Kae said...

Not at all - that is not what i meant to imply, but that God's purposes in my life - IN MY DEPRESSION - were far greater than just finding a physical solution. He was doing a spiritual work THROUGH the period of depression in my life. To me this is of great comfort and great importance - that nothing is without good purpose, that no difficulty, not even a 'physical' ailment, is there just for the purpose of finding a physical solution - but it has a spiritual purpose, to grow me spiritually. I can see that maybe i didn't explain that very well. ;O] Does that clear the mud at all? Laura