Friday, May 28, 2010

The King's Own Face

"HOLINESS" by JC Ryle

"It would be well if professing Christians studied the four gospels more than they do. No doubt all Scripture is profitable - But I think it would be good for some who are very familiar with the Epistles, if they knew a little more about the Gospels....Because I want Christians to know more about Christ. It is well to be acquainted with all the doctrines and principles of Christianity. It is better to be acquainted with Christ Himself...to be familiar with Jesus Himself, to see the King's own face, to behold His beauty."

"Four different inspired hands have drawn the picture of the Savior: His ways, His manners, His feelings, His wisdom, His grace, His patience, His love, His power, are graciously unfolded to us by four different witnesses! Surely we cannot know this Christ too well! Surely there is not a word, nor a deed, nor a day, nor a step, nor a thought in the record of His life, which ought not to be precious to us. We should labor to be familiar with every line that is written about Jesus. Come now, and let us study a page in our Master's history!"

So, herein lies my heart's desire to read the gospels again starting right now - a lovely way to begin my summer. And in doing that, I like to have a particular 'way' to read through the gospels; a particular plan. The last time, I wrote down everything I observed about Jesus and who He is and how He acted and treated sinners He rubbed shoulders with on His life journey. I wanted to keenly and carefully see, with eyes of faith, my precious Savior. That was much fun.

This time the Lord has laid on my heart to take chunks of the gospel as I come to them in my chronological reading and s-l-o-w way down and meditate on what is revealed therein about Christ. Lately I've been convicted and challenged by the Lord to take the time to meditate and to chew over the Word. Usually I read, read, read, covering ground, rather than taking that precious time. My goal is to take a passage that highlights an event or story in the life of Jesus, and, like the great Puritan writers, I aim to carefully mine the treasures, digging deep.

Wanna join me?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea. Count me in. Mom